Google+ Pink Roller: Super Sandwich Saturday

Saturday, 24 August 2013

Super Sandwich Saturday


My boyfriend has been working a lot recently so I thought he deserved a treat, and what could be better than a humongous sandwich. I mean they do say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach!

I first came across this recipe on Saturday kitchen. I love nothing more than to snuggle up on the sofa with my duvet and a cup of tea whilst watching a good cooking show. 
It's such a good recipe that I just had to share it, it's so much tastier than a boring traditional sandwich. 

My super sandwich is a chilli mayo chicken salad but you can mix up the recipe any way you like and create your own taste sensation. I would highly recommend a mozzarella, sun dried tomato and chicken sandwich with a pesto dressing, yumyumyum. 

Ingredients for chilli chicken mayo salad
2 chicken breast
1/2 cucumber
1/3 yellow pepper
1 red onion
1 salad bag
1 red chilli
generous helping of cheddar cheese (100g)
3 tsp olive oil
5 tbsp mayonaise
seasoning: salt, pepper, chilli & garlic spice
1 pain de campagne (round loaf of bread)
1 lemon (or lemon juice)



Method

I chose to cook my chicken in the oven but of course you can pan fry it if you like or buy ready cooked and cut chicken.





Firstly I seasoned my chicken with lemon, pepper, salt and a chilli garlic spice.


Then just wrap it up in foil and place in the oven at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes. 

Next it's time to prepare the salad and chilli mayo.






Finely chop the chilli, add half to the salad and save the other half for the chilli mayo.


Now the salad is all ready to add to your super sandwich! and you can prepare the chilli mayo.


Add about 5 tbsp of mayo to a bowl.


Then add the rest of the chilli's, some pepper and chilli garlic spice to the mayo and mix up!

Next it's time to sort out the bread, don't forget to check on the chicken too! (I've done that many times before, dry chicken = bad)



Take a sharp serrated knife and cut a circle in the middle of the top of the bread.



Make sure you keep the lid of your bread safe, you'll need it later. Then carefully remove the soft inside of the bread, making sure you get right into the corners. 




Unfortunately you will end up with a large wad of soft bread. I'm not really sure what to do with this except maybe blitzing to make breadcrumbs? (any ideas will be appreciated!) 






Remove the chicken from the oven and cut into small pieces




Dribble 2 tsp of olive oil on to the bottom of the loaf, making sure to spread it all around.

Now you can start layering the hollowed out loaf.




Make sure you add lots of chilli mayo as you build up the layers of salad and chicken.


And don't forget to about the cheese!



Jam all the salad and chicken into the bread loaf until it's fit to burst. Then add 1 tsp of olive oil to the bread lid and place back on top.



You can dive in and eat it straight away but really it's best to wrap in cling film, squidge it down so it's a little flatter, then place in the fridge for a few hours.




Cut yourself a big slab, relax and enjoy your Pièce de résistance. YUM!


6 comments:

  1. What a good girlfriend you are! Looks delish- my boyfriend would love to try this, so I'm going to make it for him. x

    www.carefulfeet.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can guarantee he will love it :D I just checked out your blog, love ittt! I really need to go to Brazil, very jealous! I've also followed you on bloglovin. Happy blogging and good luck with my recipe xxx

      Delete
  2. oh my i really hungry right now lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog!
    would you like to follow each other on bloglovin?
    let me know :)
    - Janine
    http://theeoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love your blog and I've followed you on bloglovin xxx

      Delete